2020 Request for Small Grant Proposals
In recent years, Friends of Malawi has worked with partners including Peace Corps Malawi to distribute small grants supporting community-based projects addressing issues related to health, housing, education, or economic development. Because there are not currently Peace Corps volunteers in Malawi due to the coronavirus pandemic, Friends of Malawi is offering a temporary small grant program during 2020 that will prioritize:
- projects connected to evacuated Peace Corps volunteers and;
- projects connected to past Friends of Malawi partners.
Grant proposals will be considered for funding between $500 to a maximum of $5000. Smaller proposals will get priority to more widely distribute funds.
Proposals should be concise and direct, with text that can be sent in the body of an email. They will be considered on a rolling basis through to November 30th 2020. Proposals should include a short paragraph for each of the following:
- An overview of the project, including location, potential impact, and current status. Priority will be given to projects that are:
- already in progress (at least with regard to planning)
- need supplemental funding to proceed
- can be undertaken within six months.
- An overall budget amount in USD and why you think that amount is reasonable given the type of project. Please indicate local contributions in cash, labor, and materials to the project; projects with local contributions will be given priority.
- An accountability plan with a timeline. This should include descriptions of how the project will ensure money is spent as described, along with documentation of project progress to be provided to Friends of Malawi (in the form of pictures, videos, direct personal narratives, etc.).
These short proposals in three paragraph form, along with contact information, should be sent in the body of an email to: MalawiGrants@gmail.com by November 6th 2020. Questions or inquiries can also be sent to this email address.
Proposals will be evaluated for:
- Readiness to proceed - this short-term call is looking for projects that are already planned or initiated, but need supplemental funding to follow through or continue;
- Potential to contribute to community needs, particularly as it relates to health, housing, education, or economic development;
- Connections with Peace Corps Malawi or Friends of Malawi partner initiatives;
- The quality of the accountability plan and timeline;
- Offering a community contribution, especially in cash and labor, as part of the projects (including projects already partially funded or begun by the community itself)
Funds for successful proposals will be distributed in two phases. The second phase will come after the project provides evidence of progress in the initial phase through communications with Friends of Malawi.